• April 24, 2014, 01:01:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Drink beer. Respect People." - Hoppedup

Recent Reviews:   90.0: Legacy Brewing |   40.0: Barrel Harbor Brewing |   71.7: Booze Brothers  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: BoB 4 - BoB Lives  (Read 9374 times)

brusician

• bmp: 0
  • Reviews: 0
  • December 21, 2007
    • View Profile
Re: BoB 4 - BoB Lives
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »

hey, I'm new around here...anyway I couldn't help but notice a distinct lack o' west in this Bob thing; I might be down for a round.  I know it's cheap, but we don't have stag in a can in Seattle and I miss it...(don't worry I'm a craft brew fanatic, I just like Stag).  I've never done one of these before so I have some questions, like is it legal?  Does shipping alcohol cost more?  What companies ship alcohol UPS, DHL, FedEx...?  If purged with CO2 would growlers work (there are some truly unique draft only brews out here)?  If I try something like that and it doesn't work could I mail off another without being forever shunned?  I'm sure I have more ?'s but let's start with that.

BahHumBrew

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 04:48:54 PM »

I've never done one of these before so I have some questions, like is it legal?  Does shipping alcohol cost more?  What companies ship alcohol UPS, DHL, FedEx...?  If purged with CO2 would growlers work (there are some truly unique draft only brews out here)?  If I try something like that and it doesn't work could I mail off another without being forever shunned?  I'm sure I have more ?'s but let's start with that.
I'm another left coast participant.  I was new for BoB 3 but will try answering some of your ?.  Reading through the earlier BoB posts should answer most of them (BoB 3 has some good details about packing and shipping).  Not sure about the absolute legality in all states, but if you'r doing it solely for personal consumption, I think the risks are small.  I used FedEx 'cause it's easy to print out a prepaid label at home, put it on the box and drop it off at Kinkos (no questions asked).  I shipped a flip top liter last time that seemed to work ok.  The problem with larger volume growlers is that you either over ship on quantity or reduce the variety you can send.  If something goes wrong with your shipment, I believe the expectation is that you'll make good on the quantity but timing is usually not that critical.  I don't believe shunning is a common practice on this site.
    BahHumBrew

hoppedup

• betamapper
  • bmp: 10
  • Reviews: 24
  • February 13, 2007
  • Drink beer. Respect people.
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »

If I try something like that and it doesn't work could I mail off another without being forever shunned?  I'm sure I have more ?'s but let's start with that.

Legal? No. From stories I've heard, people have had breakers/leakers opened and repackaged by shippers. Other times, the package disappears and is never seen again. Rarely, a package will be returned and/or a nasty about shipping alcohol will be included. Do NOT use USPS. Some people do, but that would be the most likely route to actually get busted. I do the same as BahHumBrew. I use an online FedEx account and drop off at FedEx/Kinko's. No muss, no fuss. Package well and you will have no worries. There is a post somewhere with packing info, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Growlers? Hand Filled bottles? I'd say unless they are spelled out as allowed in the guidelines, no. Growlers take up a lot of space and are heavier. Variety is the idea of BoB. Also, a box may end up sitting on someone's porch for a few days. Less than ideal conditions for a growler. In any BoB I ever start, there will be no hand-filled bottles. I don't care what CP filler or Beer Gun you use.

Homebrew? Again, unless it is spelled out in the guidelines, no. If you choose to send homebrew, it should be above and beyond the minimum beer requirement.

Rules? The rules for each BoB are set by the BoB master (most likely, me). There can be themes, but I usually stick to an amount in $ or ounces. BoBs normally go as a chain, meaning a person receives and then picks and ships to another participant. This keeps up the suspense, but can mean a long wait for the person who started it. The last BoB was Shotgun style. The BoB master came up with a list of who ships to who and let each person know who they were shipping to. The idea is that everyone ships at once.

If one/some of the bottles you send break/leak, you are expected to replace it.

Do a little research to make sure the beer you are sending is not available in the recipient's state. I was in a big chain trade where I received 5 boxes (~160 lbs) of beer. 75% of it was available at a store a few blocks from my house. There is a list for breweries available in NC here:

http://beermapping.com/forum/index.php?topic=52.0

With a chain BoB, the only person who can really get screwed is the originator, as he is the first to ship. And he may have to wait a few months for a box of beer to land on his doorstep. That's why we aren't on Bob 29 by now, I suspect.

If you choose to break the chain, remember that we now have your address. Always good to have left coasters. If you can deal with all those rules, you're in. We've had no problems (crosses fingers) with bad traders on this site yet. But they do exist.

Flash

• bmp: 6
  • Reviews: 9
  • January 20, 2007
  • Going through life fat, drunk, and stupid.
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 08:56:34 AM »

"BoB Master"

I like it.
    FlashRPh

afatty

• POI Subscriber
  • bmp: 3
  • Reviews: 1
  • February 12, 2007
  • Drinking less. But, enjoying it more.
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »

"BoB Master"

I like it.
I like it too... I'm in if "Master" will allow. I will get back to that box from faro (BOB3) and post it's contents.  I promised him "before Jan 1st."....
Now, back to work.
    afatty
Drinking less. Enjoying it more.

hoppedup

• betamapper
  • February 13, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 09:40:53 AM »

Looks to me like there are 8 people interested. I'll cap it at 8 and get this thing going if everyone on this list still wants in:

afatty
BahHumBrew
beerinator - in
brouche
brusician  - in
flyingbison
hoppedup - in
theblackmallard

You can go ahead and send addresses, out of town dates and preferences through PM. A valid phone # and email will be necessary for me to be able to track your sorry butt down if you stall this thing. Please indicate whether or not you would like your phone # on the master list. Some shippers like to have this in case there is a problem with delivery. But if you do not wish to share it with UPS,DHL FedEx, let me know.

I'm thinking this will be a simple 10-12 beer (120-144 oz.) BoB with no extras or particular theme. I'll post more complete rules later.
Yes 22s count as 2 and there is no $ limit. If you want to send a four year Dark Lord Vertical and five Westy 12s, that's your business. I'll leave it up to a majority vote whether this is a chain or a shotgun style.

edited to remove kp from 'interested' list
edited again to add beerinator, hoppedup, and brusician as "in"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 05:29:03 PM by hoppedup »

hoppedup

• betamapper
  • February 13, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
Re: BoB 4 - BoB Lives?
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 11:41:39 AM »

Bueller? Bueller?

brusician

• December 21, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 03:49:51 PM »

I'll give it a try

hoppedup

• betamapper
  • February 13, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 09:37:37 AM »

Addresses and commitments are trickling in. I'll close this one out at the end of the week. Right now, it looks like the box will just bounce back and forth to NC.  I will send a pm with the guidelines to participants when this closes.

BahHumBrew

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 09:45:06 AM »

I'll close this one out at the end of the week. Right now, it looks like the box will just bounce back and forth to NC.
I'll be back in my home digs by next Monday so I'll participate.  We bounce around a lot so I need to know when a shipment will be coming my direction so I can provide the correct address.  I liked the shotgun format because it wasn't so drawn out.  Anyone else have a preference for shotgun vs. daisey chain format?
    BahHumBrew

brusician

• December 21, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 10:12:09 AM »

my cohabitating lady was pretty skeptical about the whole thing until I assured her that we were to receive a box before we sent ours off, but I don't care if the majority wants to do shot gun I'll roll like that...hoping not to end up like this little dude :empty:

flyingbison

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 01:26:01 PM »

Addresses and commitments are trickling in. I'll close this one out at the end of the week. Right now, it looks like the box will just bounce back and forth to NC.  I will send a pm with the guidelines to participants when this closes.

Sorry for the delayed response ... been out of town for the holidays, but you can count me in.  I'll PM you my contact info.

hoppedup

• betamapper
  • February 13, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 12:47:45 PM »

Okay. I was hoping for more people to join in. I'll now close this one at the end of this week.

As it stands, three of you will be getting a box from NC. We need more suspense than that.

If it stays at 6 participants, I vote for the shotgun start.

brewcrew

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »

Not to threadjack but for those of you who have had packages go missing before I can now see why Fedex is iseless in getting anything resolved. I received a package before the holidays that had a FedEx relabel label on it with my name and address. I opened the package and it was not intended for me. In case you are curious it was a used pair of jeans, some type of business pamphlet about breast cancer and a FedEx express package with a to and from sender on the label that I do not know. It was the same box I received a GE replacement part in back in April. The repairman took the box with the old part and I assume my info was still on the box below the label that somehow fell off. I have returned the box to 3 different FedEx locations and explained the situation and 2 times FedEx has delivered the package back to me (left at my door each time and Fedex is now claiming it is my responsibility because I signed for it and they obviously have no signature). The 3rd time I stopped by a Fedex location they told me to call the 800 number and they could resolve it and pick the package up at my house. After 3 attempts with this package I have been somewhat lazy and haven't called yet. Too bad the shipment wasn't beer and I could be happy with the effort I put forth and enjoy the beer as a reward. Damn FedEx! :argh:
On Tap:
Pliny The Elder --- Gold Medal Pale --- Tripel --- Oud Bruin --- Vienna --- Munich Dunkel
--- IPA --- Coconut Porter --- Brett Saison --- ESB --- Pilsner
Fermenting:
Lambic --- Flanders Red --- 3 IPA's --- Popcorn Malt Liquor ---

afatty

• POI Subscriber
  • bmp: 3
  • Reviews: 1
  • February 12, 2007
  • Drinking less. But, enjoying it more.
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »

Okay. I was hoping for more people to join in. I'll now close this one at the end of this week.

As it stands, three of you will be getting a box from NC. We need more suspense than that.

If it stays at 6 participants, I vote for the shotgun start.

I will try to get my gun loaded this week....
    afatty
Drinking less. Enjoying it more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 26 queries.