• July 29, 2014, 09:57:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

beermapping.com - Don't drink bear.

Recent Reviews:   73.3: Beach City Brewery |   86.7: BricktownE Brewing Company |   90.0: Oakshire Brewing  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Road-trip New Orleans  (Read 2091 times)

Evil_Keith

• betamapper
  • bmp: 14
  • Reviews: 44
  • April 09, 2007
  • Earning damnation one day at a time!
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
Road-trip New Orleans
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »

I have booked a hotel and am going to be visiting the city of New Orleans. I am heading there Labor Day weekend.
 I noticed that many of the locations listed on the BM city map have not been reviewed or photographed. I am hoping to knock a few of these locations out.
 Does anybody have any recommendations? Any 'must hit' or 'avoid' advice would be greatly appreciated. Maybe meet up for a pint or two? A mini pubcrawl sort of thing?  :cheers:
                                                                                    Thanks in advance,
                                                                                         Evil Keith
Evil knows no limits.

flyingbison

Re: Road-trip New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

I was down there in 2009, and there are a few decent beer spots but nothing stellar, IMO.   Lots of good food, or course, and plenty of places to drink, but not a great craft beer culture.

While you are roaming around on Bourbon Street, you can get some decent craft beer options on tap at Beerfest I and Beerfest II.  Hate the atmosphere (fits in with Bourbon St though), but the good thing is you can get your beer "to go" in N.O., and drink while you walk around.

DBA is probably the best beer bar in the city, and it is a little removed from the overly-toursity part of the city, which is nice.

Crescent City is an OK brewpub, and you should find at least a couple of decent brews there.  Stick with their German styles.

I also had pretty decent beer at the Gordon Biersch there - especially the schwarzbier.

Most restaurants and bars will have one or two Abita beers on tap, too.

beerinator

• admin
  • bmp: 27
  • Reviews: 126
  • January 19, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • beermapping.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »

The only place I've been to that is beer related down there is the Gordon Biersch. And like flyingbison said, they did a pretty good job, if you're into the styles they have. The food there was also pretty good. I walked past the Crescent City but it was in the morning and they weren't open yet.
    beerinator

Evil_Keith

• betamapper
  • April 09, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:10:03 PM »

Thanks guys. I really have no idea what to expect down there. I figure I may never be this close to New Orleans again, so I might as well go see what all the hubbub is about. This trip is being done on some rare non-work time. With luck this will be my last holiday away from home, at least for a while.
 I am hoping to get lots of pics and review what I can. I'm hoping to be on the streets early and keep out of trouble down there.  ;)
I will post while I'm there. I'll check in to let yall know if I had fun, got mugged, stepped in an unnamed bodily fluid on Boubon Street, etc...
Evil knows no limits.

afatty

• POI Subscriber
  • bmp: 3
  • Reviews: 1
  • February 12, 2007
  • Drinking less. But, enjoying it more.
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »

I have not been to NOLA is a long time but Jazzfest is on my Bucket list w Van Morrison playing.
I've heard good things about The Avenue Pub which is in the Lower Garden District. See - http://www.avenuepub.com/index.html
It's not far from Commander's Palace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander's_Palace -- one of my all time favorite places to eat.
Also, plan on a muffuletta from Central Grocery - http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=122
    afatty
Drinking less. Enjoying it more.

Evil_Keith

• betamapper
  • April 09, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:53:48 PM »

Commander's Palace? I'll have to try that one out for sure. I think there's one in either Pensacola or Fort Walton Beach, Florida too. I have not made it to that one yet.
 On NOLA's website there is no mention of a brewpub or tasting room. Do they have either, anybody know for sure?

UPDATE: I checked Commander's Palace website. The other place is in Destin, also noticed 'No shorts. Jackets preferred at dinner'. Sounds like a winner! I'm there!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 08:02:36 PM by Evil_Keith »
Evil knows no limits.

flyingbison

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 09:42:29 PM »

I also recommend Mother's for breakfast.  Go early to get a "black ham biscuit" (black ham is the crispy outer layer of the baked ham) ... they run out quick.

Evil_Keith

• betamapper
  • April 09, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 04:13:48 AM »

I also recommend Mother's for breakfast.  Go early to get a "black ham biscuit" (black ham is the crispy outer layer of the baked ham) ... they run out quick.
Oh, you're killing this fat guy! Mother's. I will be there for a breakfast on my way out of town, or sooner...

Evil knows no limits.

afatty

• POI Subscriber
  • bmp: 3
  • Reviews: 1
  • February 12, 2007
  • Drinking less. But, enjoying it more.
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

If you have any excuse to take the Causeway coming or going, you might enjoy a stop in Abita Springs. http://abita.com/visit_abita/index.php
    afatty
Drinking less. Enjoying it more.

Chuckee

• betamapper
  • bmp: 9
  • Reviews: 43
  • February 19, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »

I have not been to NOLA is a long time but Jazzfest is on my Bucket list w Van Morrison playing.
I've heard good things about The Avenue Pub which is in the Lower Garden District. See - http://www.avenuepub.com/index.html
It's not far from Commander's Palace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander's_Palace -- one of my all time favorite places to eat.
Also, plan on a muffuletta from Central Grocery - http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=122

I've also heard good things about the Avenue Pub and I never go to N.O. without getting a muffuletta.
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others." Thomas Jefferson

Evil_Keith

• betamapper
  • April 09, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »

If you have any excuse to take the Causeway coming or going, you might enjoy a stop in Abita Springs. http://abita.com/visit_abita/index.php

A definite possibility on Abita. My plan has me hitting a place or two in Boloxi and Gulf Port on my way there. Then check in to the hotel & work on my plan of attack...
Evil knows no limits.

Redrover

• betamapper
  • bmp: 15
  • Reviews: 157
  • February 24, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • personal site
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »

Keith, I get to NOLA about once per year and will be there later in September.  As far as beer, hit Crescent City & Gordon B & Club Decatur .  A great new place is Lukes http://www.lukeneworleans.com/

For oysters try Felix's,  the Acme or one of my new favorites Deanies: http://www.deanies.com/

Go to Johnny's for Poor Boys and the Central City Grocer for muffulettas.

Any of Emrils places are top notch.

I can give you a ton more suggestions if you need them.

Have a great time!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:21:27 AM by Redrover »

Evil_Keith

• betamapper
  • April 09, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 03:28:58 AM »

Updated info: I now am off Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to head out Friday and make a stop or two in Mississippi. Probably hit the metropolis of Kiln and then Bay St. Louis.
 By evening I want to be in Abita Springs, Louisiana. Hit the Abita Brewery and Brewpubs...you know sort of wander about. I have booked a hotel Covington, La...a few places there look like they have potential & why push myself too hard.  :D
 Saturday invade the city of Nawlins... :monoclebeer:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:43:21 PM by Evil_Keith »
Evil knows no limits.

Redrover

• betamapper
  • bmp: 15
  • Reviews: 157
  • February 24, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • personal site
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »

Hurricane Keith about to make landfall in the Big Easy!

Have fun! :cheers:

Evil_Keith

• betamapper
  • April 09, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »

Day one: I headed out of Mobile by about 10am. My first destination was Lazy Magnolia Brewing in Kiln, Mississippi. My Garmin Nuvi could not find a street with the name listed. I figured I would just head to Kiln and ask a local where the brewery was. I drove into town and saw no obvious signs for the brewery. Drove around for a while and then stopped at a gas station to ask for directions.
 The woman before the counter had no idea there was a brewery in Kiln. I spoke to a local gentleman who thought it back up the road and one of the streets before or after the little bridge. I thanked him wholeheartedly and began trying every road before and after the 'little bridge'.
 Eventually I gave up and made my way to Mockingbird Cafe in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. It was quaint, but much smaller than I had expected. From there I made my way to Abita Brewing's Brewery/Tasting Room in Abita Springs, Louisiana. I found the brewery with no problems. I tried to find the Tasting room on three sides of the building to no avail. Of course the small brass plaque on the fourth side of the building is where I was supposed to go.
 That place is very, very nice. I was the first to arrive for the tour and I felt like I was in an expensive private club. As the tour time drew nearer more and more and more people continued to arrive. By the time the tour started there must have been 40 people in the tasting room and it wasn't feeling so exclusive in there anymore. It was still very nicely done.
 From there I headed over to the Abita Brewpub. That was very laid back. I grabbed an appetizer and was able to thy the Double Kolsch, which I had never seen before.
 From there I checked into my hotel in Covington, Louisiana. I hydrated and showered and headed out to Heiner Brau. This ended up being a brewery and museum that was not open at the time of my visit. From there I found my way to the Columbia Street Tap Room in Covington, La. This place definitely qualifies as a beerbar. I had a great time there. Beer Geek Breakfast, Levitation, Very nice beer list on tap and in bottles. I met the owner and Jonathan, the beer guy. Both were very nice and this Jonathan is really into bringing in quality beers.
 The plan had been to stop at the Mellow Mushroom in Covington before returning to my hotel for the evening. All the MMs I have visited so far have decent food and normally a respectable selection of beers. Unfortunately my Garmin Nuvi failed me again. I ended up somewhere south of my hotel without ever seeing Mellow Mushroom. So I headed back to the hotel in hopes of just having a pizza or something delivered. The first three places I called do not deliver. The fourth and fifth places had stopped delivering for the night (one of those was a Pizza Hut). Finally I was able to get Papa John's to deliver a pizza.
 For now I'm getting shaved, showered and plan to make my way to Mandeville, La. There is a place there called Barley Oak that is supposed to have an amazing selection of beers and a picturesque location. Then on to New Orleans.

I'll keep you posted...

Evil knows no limits.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.