• October 23, 2014, 05:04:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

beermapping.com - It's a website on the internet, like most websites.

Recent Reviews:   100.0: Wild Ride Brew |   93.3: Juniper Brewing Co |   86.7: Abandon Brewing Company  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: US Brewers are Getting Too Hop-Happy  (Read 4748 times)

beermolly

• bmp: 3
  • Reviews: 0
  • September 20, 2008
  • I'm Beer Molly and I like my beer
    • View Profile
    • My Beer Pix
Re: US Brewers are Getting Too Hop-Happy
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 12:24:38 PM »

Speedway Stout by AleSmith is wonderful!

Now back to the draught!

Molly

usmakusma

• bmp: 3
  • Reviews: 30
  • April 20, 2009
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »

I have had several IBA's though, those aren't bad, I like them more than the IPA's anyway.

docgenereux

• bmp: 1
    September 09, 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 05:49:30 PM »

Can I still get in?

McKinney777

November 21, 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »

Went to BJ's last weekend and remembered why I haven't been there in a long time...all the beers are too hoppy.

emerge077

• betamapper
  • bmp: 24
  • Reviews: 340
  • March 23, 2007
  • "Expand my brain, learning juice!"
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:57 PM »

This thread makes me lol :banjo:

brewsteraddict

December 13, 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 08:39:32 PM »

One of my favorite breweries, Dark Star Brewing Co., in their own words for their "American Pale Ale" from their website:

"The yeast strain used for the brewing of this American style pale ale is specially imported from the USA, along with Cascade, Centennial and Chinook hops. The low colour Maris Otter malt provides a perfect light colour and dryness to complement the crisp taste and full aroma of the hops. SERIOUSLY FULL OF HOPS"

http://darkstarbrewing.co.uk/beer/

I am not big on highly hopped beers, but we must be doing something right for those who like it.

hopstar

March 20, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »

It's hard to blame breweries for responding to customer demand. When I show sales reports to brewery reps and they see that 14 (or more) of the top 25 selling year-round beers are IPAs, Black IPAs, and DIPAs they'd be foolish not to try and get in on that action.

There seems to be a very small, yet exceedingly vocal (thanks in large part to BA and RB) crowd of geeks demanding ever-hoppier IPAs, massive imperial stouts, and enamel-destroying sour beers, and for better or worse breweries respond to what they see as the "hot styles" based on the various top 10/50/100 lists.

Thankfully, the pendulum seems to slowly be swinging back the other way, at least here in Portland.  I'm not sure if it's due to the more "mature" nature of the good beer scene out here, or simply a backlash against the ubiquitous IPAs, but more and more people are asking me for suggestions for lagers/pilsners on a daily basis. The local breweries seem to be picking up on this trend quickly, as evidenced by the fact that Ft George released their lager as one of their initial canned offerings, HUB is going to be releasing their lager in cans soon, and Heater Allen is selling bottles as fast as he can fill them.

All of that said, I've never had a problem finding a well made stout, porter, sour ale, or other style of beer when the mood strikes.

beeronthewall

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »

Some of our best selling beers are Double IPAs and Imperial IPAs. I personally am a big hop-head, but most of my friends and those I drink with are not. I'm just glad that most breweries and pubs have a wide enough selection on hand to make all of us happy!
    @BeerOnTheWall
Cheers,

www.BeerOnTheWall.com
Good Stuff for Beer Drinkers

pooterduude

• bmp: 0
  • Reviews: 5
    July 29, 2012
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 12:46:48 PM »

I AGREE 100%.  First I like high hopped beers.  Sure, there are a few lightly hopped American Micro brews but Generally, it seems to me that most American Brewers aim towards the high end of the BJCP range.  I recently had an absolutely WONDERFUL Brown Porter made by the Fountain Square Brewery in Indianapolis.  Full flavored with brown and chocolate malts. and a low end hopping of only 18 IBU which is on the low end of the BJCP spectrum for a brown porter.  You can taste the brown malt and all of the malts pops right out at you.    When he showed it,  the judges complained that it was TOO GRAINY. 

This is a tradition that was started by Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the FIRST GABF and seems to be a continuing tradition with Imperial Ales and OVER THE TOP experimentals.  We have a distinct lack of traditions like the British lighter hopped bitter ales which lead the SPECIAL BITTERS and ESBs.   It's like they fear becoming another DOMESTIC BEER on the shelf.  A little restraint would be appreciated.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 25 queries.