General Other Crap > Other Crap Discussion

Chicago thin-crust pizza -- squares vs. wedges

(1/4) > >>

wbfarr:
Great to see Cheeseburger Guy Kevin Pang point out the absurdity of square pizza slices (no, I'm not originally from here -- why do you ask?   :D). I could almost see Phil Vettel staring incredulously at the editor and saying, "Wait a minute -- you want me to DEFEND the squares???" The only reason I figure folks do this in Chicago is that in many instances, the crust is so crackly that wedges would result in the ends just being a crumbly mess.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/dining/chi-090722-pizza-cut-debate,0,7968080.story

BeerPrincess:
From what I heard this morning, pizza cut into squares is called "party pizza" and it's cut that way to make it easier to serve at parties.  You have a little square to fit along with all the other party foods on your plate, instead of a big slice.  I personally don't mind it.  It gets messy in the middle, especially w/ a hot pizza, but i'm not a big crust eater, so the lack of it is a bonus for me.

beerinator:
I need the crust. I don't particularly like the square cut pizza, but then again, I'm not usually a huge fan of really thin crust pizza either. I like my pizza to be more "new york style", in the middle of deep dish and cracker thin crust.

Windigstadt:
Instead of being a righteously indignant Chicagoan, I'll keep my cool and note the following: I love crust; my wife, not so much.  As such, square cuts are perfect because I can eat all the outside squares and she can eat all the crustless ones in the middle.

wbfarr:

--- Quote from: Windigstadt on July 23, 2009, 10:32:45 AM ---Instead of being a righteously indignant Chicagoan, I'll keep my cool and note the following: I love crust; my wife, not so much.  As such, square cuts are perfect because I can eat all the outside squares and she can eat all the crustless ones in the middle.

--- End quote ---

That's perfect! Although it took me a second to realize you were saying your wife didn't love crust... not, you know, that you loved pizza crust more than you loved your wife...

--- Quote from: beerinator on July 23, 2009, 09:09:48 AM ---I need the crust. I don't particularly like the square cut pizza, but then again, I'm not usually a huge fan of really thin crust pizza either. I like my pizza to be more "new york style", in the middle of deep dish and cracker thin crust.

--- End quote ---

That's where I fall, too, in an ideal world. But in the one in which we live, I'll happily eat 99% of the pizza handed to me, no matter the cut, crust, style. I've learned to live with messy fingers from the middle squares. Don't really get that solution, considering Chicago is known for architecture and design, but, hey... it still tastes good!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version