• November 29, 2014, 12:05:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

beermapping.com - ...and when we’re gone from here our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Recent Reviews:   90.0: Blue Pants Brewery |   100.0: Founders Brewing Company |   90.0: Village Idiot Brewing Company  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: List Brewpub Chains Here  (Read 8840 times)

beerinator

• admin
  • bmp: 27
  • Reviews: 126
  • January 19, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • beermapping.com
List Brewpub Chains Here
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »

I'm planning a poll on the front page about your favorite brewpub chain and I don't want to miss any.  Please list any brewpub chains that have 3 or more locations. The only rule is that they have at least 3 brewing locations.

Rock Bottom
Gordon Biersch
Karl Strauss (enough brewing locations?)
Ram Restaurant and Brewery
Granite City Food and Brewery
BJ's Restaurant and Brewery
John Harvard's Brew House
Hops Grillhouse and Brewery
Big River Grille and Brewing Works

What have I missed? I'm sure there are a bunch and we won't get them all, but I want to have as many as possible on the list.
    beerinator

BahHumBrew

Re: List Brewpub Chains Here
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »

Others that come to mind from SoCal:
Back Street Brewing Co
Oggi's Pizza and Brewing

and of course from OR/WA
McMenamins

Also - I'm pretty sure Karl Strauss brews in at least 3 locations.

One I'm not sure about is DuClaw Brewing Co.  They may still brew in several locations.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:54:07 AM by BahHumBrew »
    BahHumBrew

TheBeerNut

• mapmod
  • bmp: 10
  • Reviews: 152
  • October 30, 2007
  • This could be Rotterdam, or anywhere
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • The Beer Nut

Adam

• betamapper
  • bmp: 16
  • Reviews: 1
  • March 14, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »

Are there still three Emmett's?  And Great Dane?

dgarlit

• bmp: 0
  • Reviews: 0
    March 27, 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 12:00:53 PM »

Iron Hill Brewery, in the Philladelphia suburbs.  they are about to open their 8th location in july.  http://www.ironhillbrewery.com

beerinator

• admin
  • January 19, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • beermapping.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »

Yeah, I forgot Iron Hill Brewery. Was also reminded about it by EvilchurchdOc on twitter.

Do they actually brew at all three Great Danes? We have them marked as brewpubs, but I just wanted to confirm before we break our one and only rule... :)
    beerinator

weaverr

• betamapper
  • bmp: 2
  • Reviews: 8
    August 16, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • Hoosier Beer Geek
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:15:39 PM »

Alcatraz - only two locations but across the country from each other (http://www.alcatrazbrewing.com/)
Hops - http://www.hopsonline.com/
Capitol City - not entirely sure this counts as a chain... http://www.capcitybrew.com/
DuClaw - not sure on this one either http://www.duclaw.com/

What's the definition of chain?  There are a lot of craft breweries that have multiple brewpubs.  Does Pizza Port count as a chain?

beerinator

• admin
  • January 19, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • beermapping.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »

What's the definition of chain?  There are a lot of craft breweries that have multiple brewpubs.  Does Pizza Port count as a chain?

Hops is in the first post and I thought I had Pizza Port in the first post but I never typed it out I guess. As far as I know they have three brewpub locations and one brewery location.

I guess we can set the definition of a brewpub chain as a place that has three or more locations that you can visit and eat at and they all have their own brewing operation and equipment on premise.
    beerinator

frazbri

• POI Subscriber
  • bmp: 13
  • Reviews: 78
  • March 14, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »

Hops is in the first post and I thought I had Pizza Port in the first post but I never typed it out I guess. As far as I know they have three brewpub locations and one brewery location.

I guess we can set the definition of a brewpub chain as a place that has three or more locations that you can visit and eat at and they all have their own brewing operation and equipment on premise.

I'm not sure if Granite City fits within that definition.  I was under the impression everything was brewed at a central location, trucked to the individual restaurants and fermented on location.
"..in America we have what I like to call “cultural freedom.” By this I mean that we are not bound by traditional stereotypes of what is “good beer.” Our brewers are free to make any style of beer and our citizens feel complete freedom to drink these beers." - Fritz Maytag

BahHumBrew

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »

I'm not sure if Granite City fits within that definition.  I was under the impression everything was brewed at a central location, trucked to the individual restaurants and fermented on location.
We visited the Sioux Falls GC and they had brew kettle and equipment to brew from scratch.  I imagine GC is somewhat like BJs. BJs have at least 5 locations that do the basic brewing but also other locations that are more like tied houses.
DuClaw used to brew at all locations but with the fire in Belair and the full production brewery nearby, I'm not sure they do anymore.  Several brewpubs out this way have established a production brewery and may not routinely brew at the original location anymore.
    BahHumBrew

beerinator

• admin
  • January 19, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
    • beermapping.com
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 01:48:37 PM »

I think we sort of have to count them. I have a feeling they all have breweries, but they just don't use them.  They do ferment all the batches on location though which is more than Rogue Ale Houses or Dogfish Ale Houses do (not that this makes them better or anything, just a different type of location).  We do call them brewpubs on the site in the database, so I think we need to stick with that. We do not call Rogue or Dogfish Ale Houses brewpubs on the site though.  And we try to keep the brewing BJ's separate from the non-brewing ones.

Here is an excerpt from Granite City's site:
The hopped wort is now chilled by passing it through a heat exchanger and reducing the temperature so that it can now be transferred to the individual stores to begin the fermentation process.
They are definitely proud of this process and I believe I have seen specific patents on parts of the process or something.

beerinator

unclejedi

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 02:49:40 PM »

Boscos has locations in Nashville, Franklin, Memphis, and Little Rock.  I think there are brewhouses in at least 3 of the locations, but they've also recently started a production brewery in Memphis that may be supplying most of the year round stuff, with special stuff getting brewed in the smaller brewhouses.

unclejedi

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 02:51:48 PM »

There is also Smoky Mountain Brewing in East TN, several locations, plus they supply beer to restaurants that are part of the  Calhoun's restaurant group.  Again, there are several brewhouses, but its not clear if beer is brewed in all of them.

Windigstadt

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 03:17:44 PM »

Are there still three Emmett's?  And Great Dane?

That thought crossed my mind as well.  It looks like they have three locations, but one is Emmett's Tavern while the other two are Emmett's Ale House, and the Emmett's Ale House page doesn't even recognize the Tavern.  It's weird...
I got a 'lectric guitar and half a bottle of warm beer...

Menotomy

• mapmod
  • bmp: 11
  • February 11, 2007
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »

Sweetwater Tavern - Northern VA (although this one is part of a larger corporate restaurant chain).
5 Seasons Brewing - Atlanta, GA (just opened their third).

Sorry if anyone already mentioned these.

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 25 queries.