• November 24, 2014, 03:24:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

More bars in more places - AT&T beermapping.com

Recent Reviews:   76.7: Pub 85 |   81.7: Heaven and Ale |   83.3: Mount Airy Inn  

Author Topic: CO2 cartridge question  (Read 7825 times)

Windigstadt

CO2 cartridge question
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:42:08 AM »

So, I have one of those little CO2 chargers that take 12- or 16-gram cartridges (you can see what I'm talking about <a href="http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/co2-charger.jpg">here</a>).  What I'm wondering is if the 12-gram cartridges sold for paintball guns are the same thing.  Northern Brewer simply lists "12 Gram CO2 Cartridge Box of 12" for $10.50.  Meanwhile Amazon is selling 25 <a href="http://www.amazon.com/12-Gram-CO2-Cartridge-Pack/dp/B0012Q8HV0/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3">for $1.50 more</a>.  They appear to be non-threaded and the same size as the old one I had.  Can anybody confirm/deny that they're the same thing?  Thanks!
I got a 'lectric guitar and half a bottle of warm beer...

Chuckee

• betamapper
  • bmp: 9
  • Reviews: 43
  • February 19, 2007
    • View Profile
    • View Review List
    • View Reviews on a Map
Re: CO2 cartridge question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »

Those CO2 cartridges are standard, cookie-cutter items. They haven't changed in decades.

I can’t confirm your question… but if it were me, I’d take one received from Northern Brewer to a Wal-Mart. Head back to the sporting goods, where they sell CO2 cartridges. If the 12 gram cartridges are the same size-

Out of curiosity, do you use the CO2 cartridges for Corney kegs or is there another homebrew use?
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others." Thomas Jefferson

BahHumBrew

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:58 AM »

I've asked the same question of sellers and received various answers.  I have a countertop mini keg dispenser that uses 16gm unthreaded cartridges. Some have said that I should be sure to purchase "Food Grade" CO2 cartridges.  Most cartridges that are sold for other purposes don't make that claim but in reality, many may be food grade since that is a very common use.   I have used cartridges sold for bike tire inflators but they were imported and claimed to come from a "natural volcanic source" which gave me pause.  My last purchase came from eBay and I've been happy with them.  Unless there is something unusual about your charger, any unthreaded CO2 cartridge of the proper size should physically fit into the unit but if they have individual labels, the slight increase in diameter might make them difficult to remove.  The following was the source for my recent purchase:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-16-gram-Unthreaded-CO2-Innovations-Compatible_W0QQitemZ350134209894QQihZ022QQcategoryZ7295QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262
    BahHumBrew

Windigstadt

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 02:08:30 PM »

Out of curiosity, do you use the CO2 cartridges for Corney kegs or is there another homebrew use?

I originally bought them for some mini-kegs I bought shortly after I started brewing (thought they would be a cheap alternative to corny kegs... ended up being a waste of time and money).  However, I recently found the charger and would like to have them on hand for when I bring kegs to parties so I don't have to lug around my CO2 tank.

Thanks for the link, Humbrew.  Those are a little more expensive than the ones on Amazon, but cheaper than Northern Brewer and it might be worth the difference to make sure they're food-grade.

BahHumBrew

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »

Thanks for the link, Humbrew.  Those are a little more expensive than the ones on Amazon, but cheaper than Northern Brewer and it might be worth the difference to make sure they're food-grade.
You can probably find them cheaper from another eBay seller.  Particularly the 12g variety since they are more common.  I had a hard time finding the 16g size in local stores; even sporting goods stores that sold paintball stuff.
    BahHumBrew

Windigstadt

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »

FYI, the cheapest I've been able to find (assuming you don't want to buy 300) that are specifically marked "food-grade" come from this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/15-ea-12-Gram-CO2-Airgun-cartridges-for-Airsoft-etc_W0QQitemZ220363381510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220363381510&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50  You can get 15 12-gram cartridges for $12.45 or 24 for $17 (both prices including shipping).  I'm thinking that'll probably be as good as I get and definitely way cheaper than any homebrew store.

UdelAwesome

• bmp: 0
  • Reviews: 0
    December 11, 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »

You want to use a food grade CO2 cartridge because the non food grade ones have oil residue in the cartridge that will exit with the CO2

LittleRusty

• bmp: 0
  • Reviews: 0
    October 03, 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 03:37:07 PM »

You want to use a food grade CO2 cartridge because the non food grade ones have oil residue in the cartridge that will exit with the CO2

If you and your friends get explosive diarrhea, that's why...  Seriously, use the food grade stuff.  I made that mistake, and even found an empty BB gun cartridge at my friend's house...  You should have seen the look on their faces when I told them...

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 26 queries.